Saturday, November 15, 2008

Blog Post 7: My Love-Hate Relationship with ES2007S

Final Reflection (Blog Post #7)

For this final post, return to your first post and review what you wrote. Has your understanding of the value of effective 
communications skills changed since that time? If so, in what way? If not, why not? How do you feel about the communication 
skills that you have developed in this module? Please reflect on what you have done, on your interactions and your overall 
learning.

----------------------------------------------------

I’ve always thought professional communication was going to be a stroll in the park given that the materials in the book was simple to understand and one do not need 3 months of class to apply it. OH BOY, was I wrong! The course has exposed to me that professional communication is a comprehensive and intensive field. One need to really understand it in order to be an effective communicator given any situations. The weekly classes gave me a chance to apply some of the skills learnt on my classmates.



Among all the useful tools that I learnt in the course, I think the most important one to me was learning how to write an impressive piece of writing. Firstly, my last report that I wrote was probably in JC for Project Work and as far as I know, my grammar has got worse since I do not write essay in Maths. At the same time, I prefer face-to-face communication when trying to express myself. I did not know writing a report could be so tedious. There are so many parts to it and details to keep in mind when crafting a report. I refer to the book every time I had to write the report. As for the rest of materials, I’m sure I will put it to good use when I go for job interviews, presentations and overseas jobs.

I have learnt a lot of things that I would never be able to learn in my other modules. I enjoyed reading, commenting on my classmates’ blogs and reading Mr Blackstone’s post on the elections. I even have a draft resume in hand for my future job search. All in all, I can say that I have achieved what I wanted to: Brush up on my communication skills.

To end off, I would like to thank Mrs Kim for all the advice, anecdote and guidance in this class. I need to really thank my group mates, Huimin and You Fei. I love doing the project with them and all our rehearsals for the oral presentation. It was fun while it lasted.



To the rest of the class, don’t be a stranger now! Do holler when you see me on the streets! Let’s meet up for Timbre!

This is Illya and I bid you goodbye!


6 comments:

Chong Guan said...

Hi Illya! I must admit that I have the same sentiments as you did at the start of the module. I also thought that it was not that tough to be able to communicate professionally. However, after going through 3 months of classes, effective professional communication is actually very complex in nature! Fortunately, this module was able to teach us the different channels and techniques in communicating effectively. I would agree with you that this module has also taught us how to write a proper formal report. After so much hard work to complete it, I'm sure the 7Cs of writing has been deeply ingrained in our brains.

I'll definitely shout your name out if I see you on the streets! Haha! It was great having you as my classmate. All the best to your coming exams. Keep in touch!

Matthew said...

Hi Illya,
I was feeling quite comfortable in the first few weeks of the module as the topics covered were quite straightforward. Then I realized that was just the basic theory behind effective communication when the serious applications of the skills we learnt kicked in. The project was really demanding and I am happy to say that its accomplishment was only possible with the help of great team-mates. Thank you guys.

This module has really taught me lots. I now realize that effective communication needs to be made a part of our lives for it to be effective. The skills need to be nurtured or they will probably fade away. All the best with your revision!

PS: I love how the kids dance in the video you just posted. Very smooth.. haha.

daijing said...

Hi Illya, thinking back, I think the last time I did a proper report was for the project work in JC too. For maths, there's less contact with writing. Even those short sentences that we use for proving were often times replaced by symbols. Being able to write a proper writing is indeed a useful tool to have for our future in the society.

After attending this module, I realised that effective communication is something really complicated which consists of so many aspects. With the skills learnt and application in our daily lives, I'm sure we will be a more effective communicator.

Zhi Lian said...

Hello Illya, I agree with you that the world of effective communication is a complex and demanding subject because effective communication is one of those things that can be learnt in a short time but it needs a lifetime to master.

Therefore, this short three months course on effective communication is something like a "crash-course" to impart in us the necessary knowledge to become an effective communicator. Whether or not we become one depends on how consistent and zealous we actually practice these skills in our daily lives. I trust that everyone from our class will try their best in becoming one. (Fingers crossed...Haha...)

Anyway, I believe that all of us have definitely improved our own communication skills to a certain extent in whatever areas at the end of this course. It has really been an enjoyable and unforgettable learning experience over the past three months with you and the rest of the class as we slough through all the various assignments in order to improve our standard of communication.

Take care and all the best to you!

Unknown said...

Yes yes let's meet up for Timbre..haha..

Yeah, it has been a good module and I'm sure all of us learnt a lot from Miss Kim and from each other.

Learning skills from this module is a great thing, such as those mentioned in your post. I guess almost all of us have learned much about EQ, definitely for me, especially when we have to interact with different people frequently.

grace kim said...

Hi Illya,

Am glad that the module has been an eye-opener and that it has also been a good learning experience for you. Am happy to know you enjoyed the blogging process because some of the students found it a chore.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort.

With a bubbly and outgoing personality like yours, am sure you'll do a great job in the travel and tourism industry.

All the best!